Master of Education in Leadership
Acadia University's Master of Education in Leadership is designed to build the skills of school administrators, teachers, and other professionals engaged in administrative capacities. In our program, you will explore fundamental concepts of leadership and organization are discussed alongside concepts of social justice, democratic action, equity, empowerment, and change.
Our program will be valuable whether you are interested in administrative positions or a supervisor, classroom teacher, or other educational professional, or if you are interested in leadership in other organizational settings. Our program does not assume an understanding of the structure of schools and school districts: instead, you will explore the nature of these unique organizations and the ways in which our tacit images of schools influence our behaviour in them.
In our Leadership program, you will:
- Emphasize equity and social justice and the forms of leadership action that can address the difficult circumstances of marginalized and disadvantaged groups.
- Concentrate on the fact that children are at the centre of our work in schools, and that all leadership work ultimately focuses there.
- Explore the latest technological applications for schools through your coursework.
Core required courses (12h):
- EDUC 5213 – Organizational Theory and School Culture
- EDUC 5913 – Theoretical Perspectives on Leadership
- EDUC 5933 – Equity and Leadership
- EDUC 5513 – Research Design or EDUC 50G3 – Research Literacy
Non-thesis students may substitute EDUC 50G3 – Research Literacy for EDUC 5513 – Research Design as their required research course.
Additional requirements (18h):
- Electives selected from graduate courses offered by the School of Education or approved graduate courses offered by other departments or schools
- 9h electives selected from graduate courses offered by the School of Education or approved graduate courses offered by other departments or schools
- EDUC 5113 – Qualitative Research in Education or EDUC 5523 – Educational Statistics
- EDUC 5966 – Graduate Thesis
Please be aware that it is your responsibility to monitor your own program and to ensure that you have met degree requirements.
- Incorporates a variety of electives
- Designed for administrators, teachers, and other educational professionals
- Applicable to leaders in non-educational organizations
- Thesis option available